[TYPES/announce] Tenure-track openings at Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS)

Eva Darulova eva at mpi-sws.org
Thu Sep 28 10:01:12 EDT 2017

[Although the below post focuses on systems, strong candidates from the
programming languages and verification area will also be considered.]

Applications are invited for faculty positions at all career stages in
computer science, with a particular emphasis on systems (broadly
construed). We expect multiple positions to be filled in systems, but
exceptional candidates in other areas of computer science are also
strongly encouraged to apply.

A doctoral degree in computer science or related areas and an
outstanding research record (commensurate for the applicant's career
stage) are required. Successful candidates are expected to build a team
and pursue a highly visible research agenda, both independently and in
collaboration with other groups.

MPI-SWS is part of a network of over 80 Max Planck Institutes, Germany's
premier basic-research organisations. MPIs have an established record of
world-class, foundational research in the sciences, technology, and the
humanities. The institute offers a unique environment that combines the
best aspects of a university department and a research laboratory:
Faculty enjoy full academic freedom, lead a team of doctoral students
and post-docs, and have the opportunity to teach university courses; at
the same time, they enjoy ongoing institutional funding in addition to
third-party funds, a technical infrastructure unrivaled for an academic
institution, as well as internationally competitive compensation.

The institute is located in the German cities of Saarbruecken and
Kaiserslautern, in the tri-border area of Germany, France, and
Luxembourg. We maintain an international and diverse work environment
and seek applications from outstanding researchers worldwide. The
working language is English; knowledge of the German language is not
required for a successful career at the institute.

Qualified candidates should apply on our application website
(apply.mpi-sws.org). To receive full consideration, applications should
be received by December 1st, 2017.

The institute is committed to increasing the representation of
minorities, women, and individuals with physical disabilities. We
particularly encourage such individuals to apply. The initial
tenure-track appointment is for five years; it can be extended to seven
years based on a midterm evaluation in the fourth year. A permanent
contract can be awarded upon a successful tenure evaluation in the sixth
year.