[TYPES/announce] Feedback on new Southeast Regional PL Seminar

Harley D. Eades III harley.eades at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 14:42:53 EDT 2017

Hi, everyone.

Clément Aubert and I — two researchers are Augusta University — are in
the early stages of planning a new southeast regional programming
languages (PL) seminar to try and bring together PL researchers within
the region (around GA, NC, SC, and northern FL).  It is our hope that this
turns into an annual event where the location rotates between schools.

There are a few versions of this throughout the PL community, for
example, there are:
   - Midwest Verification Day founded at the University of Iowa,
     http://mvd.cs.uiowa.edu/

   - Midwest Programming Languages Summit founded at Indiana University
     http://wonks.github.io/mwpls/fall2017/2017/10/16/mwpls.html

The idea behind these types of meetings is to have a local venue to
share new ideas, and foster collaborations.  These meetings are
especially good for students to try out new ideas, network, and get
initial feedback on ongoing work, but of course, these are also good
reasons for faculty to come as well.

The meeting will also be very broad in subject matter, thus, any work
in PL will be welcome whether applied or theoretical, or simply
related to PL.  The more the better.

Regional meetings are also very cheap to attend, because they are
usually within driving distance.

We are in the process of securing funding to host the first meeting of
the Southeast Regional Programming Languages Seminar (SERPL) at
Augusta University in Augusta, GA.

This email is simply to try and gather interest in such a meeting.

We are writing to you to simply ask for you to let us know that you
are interested, and would be interested in attending or sending your
students to attend.  If you know anyone who might be interested we ask
that you forward this email to them.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Very best,
Harley Eades, http://metatheorem.org/