[TYPES/announce] PhD positions at Penn in PL and Formal Methods

Benjamin C. Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Dec 11 12:56:21 EST 2017

The Programming Languages and Formal Methods group at the University of Pennsylvania invites interested students to apply to our PhD program.  We conduct research on a broad range of topics spanning language design, programming systems, logic and verification.  The group is led by five faculty with diverse expertise: Rajeev Alur, Mayur Naik, Benjamin Pierce, Stephanie Weirich, and Steve Zdancewic. Our ongoing research projects include The Science of Deep Specification (deepspec.org <https://deepspec.org/>), Computer-Augmented Programming (excape.cis.upenn.edu <https://excape.cis.upenn.edu/>), Verified LLVM (www.cis.upenn.edu/~stevez/vellvm <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~stevez/vellvm>), Dependent Types for Haskell (www.haskell.org <http://www.haskell.org/>), AI for Programming Systems (petablox.org <http://petablox.org/>), and a range of other topics.

Penn is located in Philadelphia, a vibrant and cosmopolitan city with many socializing, dining, athletic, and entertainment options, and easy transportation to most of the eastern seaboard. The Computer and Information Science department (www.cis.upenn.edu <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/>) provides a world-class environment for doing basic as well as inter-disciplinary research.  The PL+FM group is regularly ranked <http://csrankings.org/#/index?plan&log> as one of the top programs worldwide.

Prospective students should apply to the PhD program in Computer and Information Science at
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/prospective-students/graduate/applying.php <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/prospective-students/graduate/applying.php> by December 15, 2017.