[TYPES/announce] Lecturer in Computer Science position available at Royal Holloway, University of London (deadline: 17 Oct 2018)

Nicola Paoletti nclpltt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 07:21:37 EDT 2018

================================
Lecturer in Computer Science
Department of Computer Science, Royal Holloway, University of London (UK)
Application closing date: Wednesday 17 October 2018
Interview date: Thursday 08 November 2018
Please apply at: https://jobs.royalholloway.ac.uk/vacancy.aspx?ref=0918-375
================================

The Department of Computer Science at Royal Holloway is now recruiting for
an academic member of staff who can strengthen our research, which falls
broadly within Artificial Intelligence, Algorithms and Complexity,
Distributed and Global Computing, and Software Language Engineering; we
also have strong connections with the Information Security Group. The
successful candidate will help us seek and seize opportunities for research
funding and industrial engagement. They will hold a PhD or equivalent, and
will have a proven research record in any of those areas, with a solid
background in the underlying theory. Experience in attracting funding,
engaging with industry, or contributing to outreach activities would also
be valuable.

The appointee will be expected to contribute across the full range of
departmental activities, including undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
and the supervision of mainstream projects over a wide range of topics. In
particular, duties and responsibilities of this post include: conducting
individual or collaborative research projects; producing high-quality
outputs for publication in high-profile journals or conference proceedings;
delivering high-quality teaching to all levels of students; supervising
research postgraduate students.

This is a full-time and permanent (tenured) post, available from April 2019
or as soon as possible thereafter. The post is based in Egham, Surrey (UK),
within commuting distance from London, Europe’s most dynamic technology
hub.

*About the Department*
The Department of Computer Science at Royal Holloway carries out
outstanding research and delivers excellent teaching at both undergraduate
and postgraduate level: we ranked 11th in the Research Excellence Framework
(REF 2014) for the quality of our research output, and our average rating
for Teaching Excellence Framework criteria in the 2017 National Student
Survey placed us 4th among research-intensive UK universities.

Over the past five years, we have undertaken an ambitious plan of
expansion: eleven new academic members of staff were appointed, new
undergraduate and integrated-masters programmes were created, and five new
postgraduate-taught programmes were launched. We are involved in multiple
inter/multidisciplinary activities, from electrical engineering to
psychology and social sciences.  The critical mass achieved by our research
centres in information security and machine learning is also generating
many approaches from potential users and collaborators.

For further details of the Department see
royalholloway.ac.uk/computerscience or contact the Head of Department at
jose.fiadeiro at rhul.ac.uk.

--
Nicola Paoletti
Lecturer - Department of Computer Science - Royal Holloway, University of