[TYPES/announce] PhD position in rewriting for fault trees

Cynthia Kop C.Kop at cs.ru.nl
Tue Nov 13 06:49:45 EST 2018

Dear all,

There is currently an opening for a 4-year PhD position at the Radboud
University Nijmegen. We are particularly looking for students with a
background in formal methods or mathematics. The application deadline is
2 December.

The overall goal of the project is to create a formal foundation of
fault tree analysis using methods based on term rewriting. This is a
theory-centric project, but with many practical applications. Fault
trees (an important tool for failure analysis in business) are often
very large, which makes it hard to assess their properties.  The
prospective PhD student will particularly study methods to transform
fault trees so as to make them more amenable to automatic analysis. They
will be supervised by Marielle Stoelinga and me.

Strategically located in Europe, Radboud University is one of the
leading academic communities in the Netherlands. A place with a personal
touch, where top-flight education and research take place at a beautiful
leafy green campus, in modern buildings with state-of-art facilities.
PhD students are hired as employees rather than students, with a
competitive salary and limited teaching duties (90% of working time is
allocated to research).

Applicants should have a MSc degree (or comparable university degree) in
computer science, mathematics or a related discipline. Knowledge of
Dutch is not required; knowledge of English is. Knowledge of term
rewriting and/or programming is a bonus, but is not required. The
project will start as soon as the student is available; preferably early
January.

The application deadline is 2 December; interviews will be held on 14
December. Any inquiries or applications can be sent directly to me at
C.Kop at cs.ru.nl

Cynthia Kop.