[TYPES/announce] Seeking students and postdocs to work on information-flow type systems for secure hardware

Andrew Myers andru at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 12 10:01:19 EST 2018

Ed Suh, Zhiru Zhang, and I are looking for students and postdocs to work
on our DARPA-funded project on designing secure hardware.
The goal is to enforce security through a security-typed hardware
description language, ensuring at design time that processors do not
leak information, including through Spectre-like timing channels. Our
work in this direction, including the Hyperflow processor that we
presented at CCS this year, has been attracting interest. See below for
links.

We're interested in finding researchers with experience in formal
reasoning about type systems, especially type systems for information
flow, and ideally, who have experience and interest in low-level
programming.

If interested, please send me an email.

-- Andrew

Some links to our prior work on this approach:

CCS 2018: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/papers/hyperflow
ASPLOS 2017: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/papers/trustzone
ASPLOS 2015: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/papers/asplos15
PLDI 2012: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/papers/pltiming.html