[TYPES/announce] Assistant Professor in Software Science at Radboud University Nijmegen

Frits Vaandrager F.Vaandrager at cs.ru.nl
Fri Jul 26 08:03:04 EDT 2019

At Radboud University, we do research and teach programmes covering the
full width of the academic spectrum. We do this on a green, modern
campus with state-of-the-art facilities. The atmosphere on campus is
open and personal, which stimulates colleagues to share their knowledge
beyond the boundaries of their own discipline. It encourages all to look
further, to see more. Thus, Radboud University contributes to the
development of new perspectives. Within science and within society. This
makes Radboud University successful and of international importance.

Assistant Professor in Software Science (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)

Faculty of Science
Vacancy number: 62.38.19
Maximum salary: € 4,978 gross/month
Application deadline: 1 September 2019

Responsibilities
================
To strengthen and expand the research of the Software Science (SWS)
group, we seek a tenure-track assistant professor with experience and an
interest in model-based techniques for design and analysis of software.
You will have the opportunity to develop your own research line in the
context of the group’s future activities. You will be expected to
supervise a number of PhD students and to teach bachelor courses in
Computer Science (and, depending on your expertise, in AI), and master
courses in Software Science. You will also actively contribute to the
supervision of Bachelor’s and Master’s projects and will be involved in
organisational tasks within the institute.

Work environment
================
Radboud University's iCIS is an internationally recognised institute,
consistently ranked among the top Computer Science departments in the
Netherlands. The institute focuses its research on three themes:
software science, digital security and data science. Each of these
themes spans the full breadth from basic fundamental research to
application-oriented research. We want to contribute scientifically at
the highest levels in our areas of expertise and want to educate our PhD
graduates to become independent leading researchers.

iCIS staff members are also responsible for the Computer Science
bachelor and master programs, the Information Sciences master program,
and for about 30% of the bachelor and master programs in Artificial
Intelligence at Radboud University. In spite of the fast-growing student
numbers, these programs are structurally evaluated as one of the best
(see e.g., “Nationale Studenten Enquete”, 2018).

The Software Science group of iCIS studies models for the design and
analysis of software. Our group has expertise covering a broad range of
topics concerning software construction and analysis, e.g., foundations
of software (type theory, proof assistants, concurrency, co-algebras,
and term rewriting), model-based testing and model learning, combining
formal verification and machine learning, and functional programming and
domain specific languages. We bridge the gap between theory and practice
through collaboration with stakeholders from industry and other
application domains.

iCIS comprises an enthusiastic and devoted team of excellent scholars
that closely collaborate in a flat organizational structure. Our
institute is housed in the modern Mercator building at the green Radboud
University Campus. iCIS employees have a high level of freedom to
determine the way they structure the work they do at Radboud University.
We work on the basis of trust and professional integrity. Focus on the
individual means we take each employee's phase in life and career into
consideration. Radboud University offers customized facilities to better
align work and private life.

The science faculty has made a strong effort in the past few years to
increase the diversity of its staff. Presently, more than half of our
scientific staff has an international background. Especially, iCIS has
been particularly active and successful in attracting female staff. This
has also led to iCIS receiving the 2017 Minerva award for gender and
diversity from Informatics Europe.

What we expect from you
=======================
*   You are an enthusiastic scientist (PhD) with a broad knowledge of
computer science and model-based techniques for design and analysis of
software, as underscored by high-quality publications, invitations to
scientific conferences, and/or research grants.
*   Your expertise broadens the current expertise of the group. Example
areas include system performance, system evolvability, system
architecting, software analysis tools, software analytics, empirical
software engineering, correctness/fairness/bias of machine learning
applications, cyber-physical systems, and HPC/Exascale computing.
*   You have outstanding didactic skills and at least some teaching
experience, a clear vision on teaching, and willingness to teach a broad
variety of courses in the bachelor phase, as well as courses related to
your research expertise in the software science master.
*   You are a team player who is eager to collaborate with other
scientists, and build bridges between different research areas within
and outside SWS and Radboud University, both nationally and
internationally, and both within and outside academia.
*   You have excellent communication skills towards colleagues,
students, and non- experts.
*   You contribute to, and preferably have experience in, the
application of model-based techniques in industry and society.
*   You have the ability to set up an independent line of research, and
successfully apply for external funding.

What we have to offer
=====================
*   employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE;
*   in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3%
end-of-year bonus;
*   You will be appointed as Assistant Professor 2 level and if
successful will end with a permanent position at an Assistant Professor
1 level;
*   The tenure track runs six years, with an interim evaluation after
three years, in accordance with the guidelines and procedures of the
Faculty of Science;
*   On campus day care facilities for all children of the age 0-4 years
are available, next to our science faculty buildings. Parents are
entitled to partly paid parental leave and Radboud University employees
enjoy flexibility in the way they structure their work;
*   This flexibility extends to the conditions of employment and some
aspects of the conditions of employment can be fine-tuned to the
employee’s wishes. Options include (for instance) a tax-free
reimbursement for a bicycle or a membership in a fitness club;
*   You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service where our
Dual Career Officer will assist with family related support, such as
child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market
and with finding an occupation.

Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
http://www.ru.nl/english/arbeidsvoorwaarden?kn

Would you like to know more?
============================
Further information on: Faculty of Science https://www.ru.nl/science/
Further information on: iCIS https://www.ru.nl/icis/
Further information on: Software Science https://www.sws.cs.ru.nl/

For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Prof. dr. Frits W. Vaandrager
Telephone: +31 24 365 2216
E-mail: F.Vaandrager at cs.ru.nl

Prof.dr. Marielle I.A. Stoelinga
E-mail: m.stoelinga at cs.ru.nl

Are you interested?
===================
You should upload your application (attn. of dr. P. Schwabe) exclusively
via the link provided for this position at
https://www.ru.nl/english/working-at/. Your application should include
(and be limited to) the following attachment(s):

*   Letter of motivation
*   CV including the e-mail addresses of three references
*   Teaching statement
*   Research statement

Interviews for this position will take place on September 13 and
September 19. Please reserve these dates in your agenda.