[TYPES/announce] four academic positions, all levels of seniority

Gardner, Philippa A p.gardner at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Aug 3 13:58:00 EDT 2019

Dear all,

[Sorry if you receive multiple postings of this email.]

I would like to draw your attention to a current  Imperial advert for four academic positions
at all levels of seniority; details found here<https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/ENG00918/four-academic-positions-lecturer-senior-lecturer-reader-or-professor-level>.  The target areas are:  artificial intelligence, hardware and systems, security and theoretical computer science; all should be interpreted widely. In addition, exceptional candidates in other areas are encouraged to apply.

Deadline: 2nd September 2019.

This is the second hiring round this year, due to Imperial wanting to expand the Department. We had an outstanding list of applicants the last time, with our subject being very successful: we hired  Nick Wu (Haskell, algebraic effects) and Azalea Raad (weak-memory concurrency). This success means that we are not targeting software reliability this time around. Please note, however,  that verification is mentioned under AI and hardware/systems, logic and semantics is mentioned under theory, and verification is important for security even if it’s not explicitly stated.

Imperial normally only advertises for lecturers and senior lecturers. For the first time since I remember, we  are exploring how to systemise the process of senior hires. We  are thinking about the junior and senior hires differently: junior candidates should not feel threatened by the call for senior hires, we want to hire junior people; senior candidates should treat this as a unusual opportunity  due to the Imperial decision to expand.

I very much encourage excellent candidates to apply for these positions. Please don’t hesitate to contact me, or other academics in the Department, if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Philippa