[TYPES/announce] UNSW Sydney Seeking PhD Students

Christine Rizkallah c.rizkallah at unsw.edu.au
Wed Aug 14 20:08:05 EDT 2019

If only there were a place where I could prove theorems, change the world, and have
fun while doing it...

Sounds too good to exist?

In the Trustworthy Systems team at UNSW and Data61 that's what we do for a living. We
are the creators of seL4, the world's first fully formally verified operating system
kernel with extreme performance and strong security & correctness proofs. Our highly
international team is located on the UNSW campus, close to the beautiful beaches of
sunny Sydney, Australia, one of the world's most liveable cities.

We are offering scholarships to multiple motivated PhD students who want to join us
in Sydney, move things forward, and have a global impact.

Cogent is a language we designed that co-generates code and proofs in order to ease
the verification of systems components around seL4. Potential PhD topics include
designing and implementing new domain-specific programming languages extending
Cogent, writing formal specifications and proofs in Isabelle/HOL, developing formally
verified infrastructure for building secure systems on top of seL4, contributing to
improved proof automation and reasoning techniques, and applying formal proof to
real-world systems and tools.

To apply you should have (or be about to obtain) a bachelor degree (minimum 4 years) or
a bachelor and a masters degree in  Computer Science, Mathematics, or similar. You should
also meet UNSW's minimum English requirements:
https://www.unsw.edu.au/english-requirements-policy

You should also possess a significant subset of the following skills:
- functional programming in a language like Haskell, ML, or OCaml
- first-order or higher-order formal logic
- basic experience in C
- ability and desire to quickly learn new techniques
- ability and desire to work in a larger team

If you additionally have experience

- in software verification with an interactive theorem prover such as
  Isabelle/HOL, HOL4, Coq, or Agda, and/or
- with programming languages and verified or certifying compilers

you should definitely apply!

You will work with a unique world-leading combination of OS and formal methods
experts, students at undergraduate and PhD level, engineers, and researchers from
5 continents, speaking over 15 languages.

Trustworthy Systems is a fun, creative, and welcoming workplace with flexible
hours & work arrangements.

We value diversity in all forms and welcome applications from people of all ages,
including people with disabilities, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. See
https://ts.data61.csiro.au/diversity/ for more information.

For applying, email us on <c.rizkallah at unsw.edu.au> a copy of your CV,
cover letter, transcripts, and contact information for two referees.

This round of applications closes on the 1st of September 2019.

For any questions on these positions, please contact Christine Rizkallah
<c.rizkallah at unsw.edu.au>

The Cogent project is open source.
Check it out at https://ts.data61.csiro.au/projects/TS/cogent.pml