[TYPES/announce] 2 PhD and 1 Postdoc position on formal methods and data analytics @Radboud University

Nils Jansen n.jansen at science.ru.nl
Tue Sep 17 11:40:47 EDT 2019

We are looking for excellent PhD and Postdoc candidates on the PrimaVera project. PrimaVera stands for 'Predictive maintenance for Very effective asset management' and is a multi-disciplinary project funded by the prestigious Dutch National Research agenda.

-- The challenge

The overall challenge in PrimaVera is to realize the grand promises in predictive maintenance. Through an effective combination of sensor techniques, big data analysis, and maintenance engineering, we want to significantly improve failure predictions to render maintenance more effective.

You will work on an effective combination of formal methods (such as fault trees, stochastic model checking) and data analytics (decision trees, Bayesian Networks, neural networks, reinforcement learning, POMDPs). PrimaVera is a joint project with Eindhoven University of Technology, University of Twente, Saxion, Haagse Hogeschool and the Dutch Aerospace Laboratory, as well as several industrial partners. You are expected to participate in a fruitful collaboration with the industrial partners, e.g., by carrying out an industrial case study.

-- Your profile

We are looking for enthusiastic applicants with a MSc (or a PhD for the postdoc position) degree in Computer Science, or Mathematics with a demonstrable interest in computer science.
The candidates should have a thorough theoretical background, and an interest in the verification of complex, industrial systems.
Experience with formal methods, probability theory, data analytics, and/or maintenance are helpful.

-- Our profile

The positions are available in the Institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at Radboud University Nijmegen. Research at iCIS focuses on software science, digital security, and data science. Our research mission is to improve the security and reliability of software systems and algorithms through mathematically founded theories, methods and tools. During recent evaluations, iCIS has been consistently ranked as the No. 1 Computing Science department in the Netherlands. Evaluation committees praised our flat and open organisational structure, our ability to attract external funding, our strong ties to other disciplines, and our solid contacts with government and industrial partners. The Software Science group is well known for its contributions to the mathematical foundations of software, formal methods, and functional programming.

One PhD position will be part of the Data Science group within iCIS, the other position and the postdoc position will be part of the Software Science department. The work is supervised by

Prof. dr. Marielle Stoelinga
Prof. dr. Tom Heskes
Dr. Nils Jansen

-- Details

The application deadline is October 11, 2019 or until is filled. Skype interviews are expected to take place on October 18. More information and application forms:

https://www.ru.nl/english/working-at/vacature/details-vacature/?recid=1063215&pad=%2fenglish&doel=embed&taal=uk <https://www.ru.nl/english/working-at/vacature/details-vacature/?recid=1063215&pad=/english&doel=embed&taal=uk>

https://www.ru.nl/english/working-at/vacature/details-vacature/?recid=1063220&pad=%2fenglish&doel=embed&taal=uk <https://www.ru.nl/english/working-at/vacature/details-vacature/?recid=1063220&pad=/english&doel=embed&taal=uk>

Please only apply via these links. You are expected to submit

- a cover letter (explaining your specific interest and qualifications);
- a full Curriculum Vitae;
- a list of all courses + marks and a short description of your MSc thesis (for the PhD positions);
- your top two publications and a short description of your PhD thesis (postdoc position)
- references (contact information) of two scientific staff members.

For questions contact Nils Jansen<n.jansen at science.ru.nl>

--
Dr. Nils Jansen
Assistant Professor