[TYPES/announce] PhD opportunities in formal foundations and verification of distributed systems at the University of Birmingham, UK

vincent rahli vincent.rahli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 12:47:45 EDT 2019

Dear all,

The School of Computer Science at the University of Birmingham, UK, is
continuously looking for strong PhD candidates. One particular field
of interest is formal methods applied to distributed systems. Students
broadly interested in this field of research are strongly encouraged
to apply. Topics of particular interest are, for example:

  * Formal verification of Byzantine fault-tolerant systems
  * Probabilistic formal verification of distributed real-time systems
  * Using knowledge reasoning to verify distributed systems
  * Using type theory to verify distributed systems
  * Logical foundations of distributed systems

Applicants must hold (or be about to obtain) a Masters or Bachelor
degree in Computer Science. In addition, they must have a strong
background in one of the following areas:

  * Formal methods
  * Distributed systems
  * Programming languages
  * Type theory

PhD positions are typically for 3.5 years and are fully funded,
covering tuition fees and a bursary.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me for further details:
V.Rahli at bham.ac.uk. In addition, feel free to browse my webpage for
more information on my research interests:
https://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~rahliv/.
The two following papers are especially relevant:
  * ESOP'18: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~rahliv/articles/velisarios.pdf
  * OOPSLA'19: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~rahliv/articles/asphalion.pdf

Additionally, the following page contains useful information regarding
our lively theory group, which the successfully candidate would be
part of: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/groupings/theory/.

Vincent Rahli

--
https://vrahli.github.io/