[TYPES/announce] new: MSC 68V (new classes for Types-related topics in MSC2020)

Michael Kohlhase michael.kohlhase at fau.de
Fri Feb 21 04:15:28 EST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

You may know of the Mathematical Subject Classification (MSC; see [1]),
a system of ca 7000 numeric labels for all areas of mathematics. The MSC
is reviewed every 10 years, and MSC 2020 is out since mid-January. The
single biggest change is the introduction of the mid-level class 68Vxx
for "Computer science support for mathematical research and practice"
and its seven subclasses (see [2] for details).
<https://zbmath.org/classification/?q=cc%3A68V>With this addition, Types
topics have a home in the MSC now.

If you are wondering about the specifics of the distribution of
subtitles, ... The process for MSC extensions is that there is a call
for extensions to the community, which is taken as input to the
coordination by committee between zbMATH and Math Reviews (MR) who will
then decide. As you can imagine, the addition of a whole new (mid-level)
topic is bound to be controversial and every little piece of real estate
has to be fought for and will be re-shaped multiple times.  We have to
thank Klaus Kiermeier from zbMATH for doing this based on my initial
submission. This cannot have been easy.

In any case, even though we may have wished for a slightly different
parcellization of our discipline, this is a non-trivial recognition of
our field by the mathematical community, and we should spread the word
about this to popularize it. And in 2030 it will be much simpler to get
new topics in (if there is significant updake of 68Vxx

Best,

Michael

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_Subject_Classification

[2] https://zbmath.org/classification/?q=68v

Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,  http://kwarc.info/kohlhase, skype: mibein42

Professur für Wissensrepräsentation & -verarbeitung
  Informatik, FAU Erlangen Nürnberg, Martensstr. 3, D-91058 Erlangen, Room 11.139,
  tel/fax: (49) 9131-85-64052/55, michael.kohlhase at fau.de