[TYPES/announce] [postdoc] Multiple postdoc positions at CEA LIST, Paris, France, in Software Security through Program Analysis, Formal Methods or Machine Learning

BARDIN Sébastien sebastien.bardin at cea.fr
Wed Apr 15 13:49:10 EDT 2020

Multiple postdoc positions at CEA LIST, Paris, France, in
Software Security through Program Analysis, Formal Methods or Machine Learning

*OUR TEAM* - The BINary-level SECurity research group (BINSEC) is a dynamic team of 8 junior and 2 senior researchers. The group has frequent publications in top-tier Security, Formal Methods and SE conferences. We work in close collaboration with other French or international research teams, industrial partners and national agencies. The team is part of CEA, one of the best ranked research institution in the world (https://www.reuters.com/innovation/most-innovative-institutions-2019), with an annual budget of €4.7 billion and about 16K staff members across France.

*OUR WORK* - The team has high-level expertise in several code analysis approaches, including binary-level formal methods, symbolic execution, abstract interpretation, SMT solving and fuzzing. We apply these techniques to improve the security of software at the binary level, covering notably continuous security analysis, code hardening and patching, advanced vulnerability detection, criticality assessment, backdoor detection, verification-oriented decompilation, malware analysis or binary-level formal verification. Additional information can be found on

    https://binsec.github.io/
    http://sebastien.bardin.free.fr/

*YOUR MISSION* - The goal of your postdoc will be to leverage recent advances in program analysis, software verification and/or machine learning to develop methods and tools supporting security analysis at the binary level. This includes (but is not limited to) vulnerability analysis, code hardening, reverse engineering and malware analysis. In particular, you will be strongly encouraged to explore innovative solutions combining both program analysis and machine learning.

You will get involved in EU or industry-funded projects, together with senior members of the group. You will be expected to solve challenging research problems, implement your solutions into evaluated prototypes, publish at top conferences and journals, mentor students and broadly participate to the scientific life of the group. All positions comprise theoretical work as well as prototyping (preferably in OCaml) and experimental evaluation. We recognize that postdocs may need to spend a fraction of their time applying for permanent positions and we will support you in advancing your career.

*JOB REQUIREMENTS* - Successful candidates should have a Ph.D. in Computer Science (or be near completion), they should be proficient in English and have excellent programming skills. We are mainly looking for applicants with an excellent research track record in program analysis, formal methods, software security and/or machine learning. However, candidates with background in programming languages, compilation, empirical software engineering, architecture or system may also be considered.

*HIRING PROCEDURE* - Interested applicants should send their CV to Sébastien Bardin (sebastien.bardin at cea.fr) as soon as possible (and at the very last before October 2020), as applications will be reviewed immediately as they arrive (first come first served). Each position will have a duration of 2 years and will be allowed to begin starting from 2 months after a successful interview, but not later than December 2020.

*REMUNERATION PACKAGE* - Remuneration for the postdoc includes a gross salary ranging from 33 kEUR to 39 kEUR per year, full access to the French healthcare, social care and pension system, as well as several other benefits, like coverage of 50% of all your Parisian public transport fees.

*WORKING AND LIVING IN PARIS* - Our offices are located in Plateau de Saclay, south of Paris, the French biggest research and industry cluster. Our welcome agency France Accueil is available to help you find your home and settle here. Most of us live either in the wooden and quiet southern suburbs of Paris or closer to the bustling center of the city. Paris is the capital of France, a metropolis of 12.5 million people and one of the most visited travel destination in the world.