[TYPES/announce] Post-doctoral position in session types for reliable actor-based systems, University of Kent (4 years)

Laura Bocchi L.Bocchi at kent.ac.uk
Thu May 14 08:33:51 EDT 2020

Closing date: Friday 21st of June.

Expected start: September 2020, but negotiable.

We are seeking to appoint a 4-year Research Associate (post doc) at the University of Kent, funded under the EPSRC project 'STARDUST: Session Types for Reliable Distributed Systems’.

The key idea of the project is to combine the communication-structuring mechanism of session types with the scalability and fault-tolerance of actor-based software architectures. We aim to build programming language theory and practice for reliable concurrent and distributed systems, and to provide lightweight tool support for developers – e.g. warning of potential reliability issues, suggesting appropriate recovery strategies – so that developers may continue to use established idioms and workflows.

This full time, 48 month position is placed within the internationally renowned Programming Languages and Systems group (PLAS) at the University of Kent’s School of Computing (at Canterbury). Canterbury is a beautiful, historic city (and UNESCO World Heritage Site) situated very close to London (<1 hour by train) and mainland Europe (close to airports and Eurostar). You would be working as part of an energetic team of researchers.

The successful candidate will be supported by two supervisors at Kent: Dr Laura Bocchi and Prof Simon Thompson. The role will involve collaboration with the STARDUST project partners: the research groups of Prof Simon Gay and Prof Phil Trinder (University of Glasgow) and Prof Nobuko Yoshida (Imperial College London), and industry partners Actyx AG, Erlang Solutions Ltd, Lightbend, Quviq AB, and Tata Consultancy Services.

Contact Laura Bocchi (l.bocchi at kent.ac.uk) if you have any questions.

As Research Associate you will:

  *   contribute to developing a theory of session types for reliable actor-based interactions.

  *

contribute to developing techniques for static/dynamic verification of Erlang and/or Scala/Akka programs, and for automatic verification/generation of recovery strategies.

  *

contribute to gathering, modelling, and developing case studies, and evaluating  results in a principled way, e.g., via benchmarking based on the case studies.

To be successful in this role you will have/be:

  *   PhD (or nearing completion of study for one) or equivalent, in Computer Science, especially with research interests in programming languages;

  *

Strong knowledge and hands on experience with actor-based and concurrent programming;

  *

Good grasp of type systems and typed programming language definitions and/or real-time systems;

  *

Research experience in one of either programming language theory or practice.

The School of Computing at Kent is a welcoming and supportive environment that has been recognised with a Bronze Athena SWAN award. We are a well-balanced, inclusive and diverse community that aims to further enhance our achievements and reputation in teaching, research and innovation. Our staff and students come from all over the world, and we are proud of our friendly and inclusive culture. We support colleagues through a number of family-friendly policies, including a core hours policy and the right to apply for flexible working, and support for staff returning from periods of extended absence (for example, maternity leave).

We particularly welcome applications from female and black and ethnic minority candidates as they are under-represented at this level in this area.

https://jobs.kent.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=1249