[TYPES/announce] Fully funded PhD positions at Tallinn University of Technology

Ed Morehouse emorehouse at wesleyan.edu
Thu Jun 25 11:05:16 EDT 2020

The Compositional Systems and Methods group at the Tallinn University of
Technology, Estonia (https://compose.ioc.ee) is seeking highly qualified
PhD candidates.

The ideal student should have a solid grounding in category theory, and
in at least one of the following areas: programming languages,
concurrency theory, quantum computing, database and information systems,
or machine learning.

The group’s lingua franca is category theory and our research concerns
mathematical foundations, as well as various applications in computer
science and related disciplines. We are working on relational algebra
and functorial semantics, open games, process languages for smart
contracts, string diagrams, compositional descriptions of models of
computation and concurrency, lenses and optics in functional
programming, type theory, and several other topics.

The group is led by Pawel Sobocinski, has two postdoctoral researchers,
Edward Morehouse and Fosco Loregian, and four PhD students: Elena Di
Lavore, Nathan Haydon, Chad Nester and Mario Román. One additional
postdoctoral researcher will be recruited in the autumn of 2020. Our
research is supported by the ESF funded Estonian IT Academy research
measure.

The group’s ethos emphasises openness, and inter-group collaboration is
highly encouraged. We maintain an active member-led seminar series and
hold regular group meetings, research retreats in the Estonian
countryside, and various cross-cutting research activities.

The successful students will be awarded a generous stipend and be
provided with computing equipment and resources for travelling to
conferences, summer schools, and other events relevant to their projects.

Applicants should hold a Masters degree in Computer Science, Mathematics
or a closely related field. To apply, send a CV and a motivation letter
outlining your research interests to Pawel Sobocinski
(pawel.sobocinski at taltech.ee).

APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 31, 2020
STARTING DATE: November 2020 or as per agreement

Fosco Loregian
Edward Morehouse
Pawel Sobocinski