[TYPES/announce] Fwd: Informatics at University of Leicester

Seyed H. HAERI (Hossein) hossein.haeri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 05:17:51 EST 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Simon Gay <Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 at 10:21
Subject: Informatics at University of Leicester
To: <fata at dcs.gla.ac.uk>, <spls at lists.cent.gla.ac.uk>

Dear Colleagues,

You might have heard that the University of Leicester is planning to
shut down pure mathematics and make the academic staff redundant. That
is only part of the story - the proposal is to merge mathematics and
informatics, focus everything on AI, data science, computational
modelling and "digitalisation", and make redundant 10 academic staff in
informatics whose research does not align with those areas.

The research being thrown out covers algorithm design and analysis,
logic in computer science, foundations of software science, programming
languages, concurrent systems, and testing and verification.

Please consider signing this petition:

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/foco-is-not-redundant/

I apologise if you receive many similar emails, but I think I am getting
in early :-)

Best wishes,

Simon

Seyed H. HAERI (Hossein), Dr.

Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
Department of Computing Science and Engineering
Catholic University of Louvain
Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium

ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org/