[TYPES/announce] Post-doctoral research position on `Gillian; Concurrency', Imperial

Gardner, Philippa A p.gardner at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Mar 7 08:09:50 EST 2021

Hello all,

[Apologies for multiple postings.]

I have an opening for a post-doctoral research position at Imperial on `Gillian: Concurrency', funded by a national fellowship: details of the project are given below; details about my research group can be found here<https://vtss.doc.ic.ac.uk>.

[I have flexible funding and so also include brief descriptions of my more theoretical work on reasoning about concurrent and distributed programs in case it is of interest.]

The position is for three years. The start date is flexible in these uncertain times, but two good times are September 2021 and January 2022. It is possible to start the positions remotely, although we are able to meet at Imperial when necessary so it might make sense to be in London. In fact, accommodation rents are currently low (due to covid) so it is actually quite a good time to come to London.

If you are interested, please do not hesitate to contact me, cc’ing my administrator Teresa Carbajo Garcia,
t.carbajo-garcia at imperial.ac.uk<mailto:t.carbajo-garcia at imperial.ac.uk>.

Philippa

Professor Philippa Gardner FREng
Department of Computing
Imperial College
180 Queen’s Gate
London
SW7 2AZ

Your working day may not be the same as mine. Please do not feel
obliged to reply to this email outside your normal working hours.

THE PROJECT

Gillian: Concurrency
Philippa Gardner
Imperial College London

Gillian [1,1a] is a multi-language platform for compositional symbolic analysis. It currently supports three flavours of analysis: whole-program symbolic testing; full verification based on separation logic; and automatic compositional testing based on bi-abduction. It is underpinned by a core symbolic execution engine, parametric on the memory model of the target language, with strong mathematical foundations that unifies symbolic testing and verification. Gillian has been instantiated to C and JavaScript, obtaining results on real-world code that demonstrate the viability of our unified, parametric approach.

The ambitious aim is to design and implement Concurrent Gillian. It involves: changing the core of Gillian to handle concurrency; developing a Gillian instantiation for a small concurrent While language to explore different types of concurrency reasoning; developing a Gillian instantiation for concurrent Rust which will build on the current development of a Gillian instantiation for sequential Rust; and exploring symbolic testing and verification for real-world Rust programs. We are also about to begin projects on `Gillian: Program Correctness and Incorrectness', funding by Facebook, and `The Coq-certification of Gillian'. The spirit of the group is to get the best fit between people and research, so there is much flexibility with working on these other projects as well.

OTHER PROJECTS ON CONCURRENCY AND DISTRIBUTION

Concurrency

We have worked for many years on the compositional reasoning about concurrent programs, introducing fundamental techniques which underpin modern concurrent separation logics [2,2a]: logical abstraction; logical atomicity; and logical environment liveness properties. We have applied our reasoning to verify some of the most advanced concurrent algorithms in the literature. There are several suitable PhD projects associated with this work: for example, continuing the work on the foundational theory; applying the work to real-world libraries; developing prototype analysis tools; or using the Coq-focused Iris project, whose foundations use some of our theory.

Distribution

We have recently begun to work on weak consistency models for distribution, developing an interleaving operational semantics for client-observational behaviour of atomic transactions [5]. Possible PhD projects include: creating a program logic for distributed atomic transactions (our original motivation for the work) inspired by our previous work on program logics for concurrency; or further developing the operational semantics with the aim to provide prototype tools for proving robustness results and discovering litmus tests.