[TYPES/announce] IEEE SecDev 2021 CFP

Frank Piessens Frank.Piessens at cs.kuleuven.be
Mon May 24 10:14:29 EDT 2021

IEEE SecDev is a venue for presenting ideas, research, and experience about
how to develop secure systems. It focuses on theory, techniques, and tools
to “build security in” to existing and new computing systems, and does not
focus on simply discovering the absence of security.

Call For Papers and Tutorials

We solicit research papers, position papers, and "best practice" papers on
a broad range of topics relating to secure systems development. Examples of
topics that are in scope include: development libraries, tools, or
processes to produce systems resilient to certain attacks; formal
foundations that underpin a language, tool, or testing strategy that
improves security; techniques that drastically improve the scalability of
security solutions for practical deployment; and experience, designs, or
applications showing how to apply cryptographic techniques effectively to
secure systems.

SecDev also seeks hands-on and interactive tutorials on processes,
frameworks, languages, and tools for building security in. The goal is to
share knowledge on the art and science of secure systems development.
SecDev also seeks posters and tool demos, and abstracts from practitioners
to share their practical experiences and challenges in security
development. Information on these solicitations are available on the SecDev
website https://secdev.ieee.org/2021/home/

Areas of interest include (but are not limited to):

•            Security/resiliency-focused system designs (HW/SW/architecture)

•            Tools and methodology for secure code development

•            Risk management and testing strategies to improve security

•            Security engineering processes, from requirements to
maintenance

•            Security benchmarks

•            Comparative experimental evaluation

•            From research to practice - gaps and transitions

•            Programming languages, development tools, and ecosystems
supporting security

•            Static program analysis for software security

•            Dynamic analysis and runtime approaches for software security

•            Automation of programming, deployment, and maintenance tasks
for security

•            Software ecosystem and software supply chain security

•            Distributed systems design and implementation for security

•            Privacy by design

•            Human-centered design for systems security

•            Formal verification and other high-assurance methods for
security

•            Code reviews, red teams, and other human-centered assurance

Submission Details

•            The website for submissions: https://secdev2021.hotcrp.com/

•            Submissions must use the two-column IEEE Proceedings style:
https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html

Submissions must be one of two categories:

•            Papers, up to 6 pages, excluding references and well-marked
appendices.  These must be well-argued and worthy of publication and
citation, on the topics above. Research papers must present new work,
evidence, or ideas. Position papers with exceptional visions will also be
considered. Authors of accepted papers will present their work at the
conference (e.g., in a 30-minute slot) and their papers will appear in the
conference’s formal IEEE proceedings.

To improve the fairness of the reviewing process, SecDev will follow a
light-weight double-blind reviewing process. Submitted papers must (a) omit
any reference to the authors’ names or the names of their institutions, and
(b) reference the authors’ own related work in the third person (e.g., not
“We build on our previous work …” but rather “We build on the work of …”).
Nothing should be done in the name of anonymity that weakens the submission
or makes the job of reviewing the paper more difficult (e.g., important
background references should not be omitted or anonymized). Please see the
double-blind FAQ for the answers to many common concerns about SecDev’s
double-blind reviewing process. When in doubt, contact the program chairs.

•            Tutorial proposals, up to 2 pages and cover (a) the topic; (b)
a summary of the tutorial format highlighting hands-on aspects and possibly
pointers to relevant materials; (c) the expected audience and expected
learning outcomes; (d) prior tutorials or talks on similar topics by the
authors (and audience size), if any. The title of the submission should be
prefixed with “Tutorial:”.  Tutorial proposals do not need to be anonymized.

Accepted tutorials should aim to be either 90 minutes or 180 minutes long.
We strongly encourage tutorials to have hands-on components and audience
interactions. We do not recommend simply slide presentations. Accepted
tutorials may provide an abstract that will appear in the conference’s
formal IEEE proceedings. Tutorials will occur on the first day of the
conference (Monday October 18). Note that if an accepted tutorial requires
special materials or environments for the hands-on participation, we expect
the authors to provide necessary preparation instructions for the attendees.

At least one author of each accepted paper and tutorial must register for
the conference and present the paper/tutorial.

We are devoted to seeking broad representation in the program, and may take
this into account when reviewing multiple submissions from the same authors.

If you have any questions, please email us: secdev21-pc at ieee.org.

Important Dates

•            Paper submission deadline: June 4th, 2021

•            Author notification: August 6th, 2021

•            Camera-ready: September 10, 2021

•            Conference: October 18-20, 2021