[TYPES/announce] MSc and PhD positions at Queen's University

Jana Dunfield jana at cs.queensu.ca
Wed Jan 5 13:35:35 EST 2022

My group at Queen's University has funding for MSc and/or PhD positions,
to start September 2022.  Our research focus is type systems.  Current
research directions include polarized liquid types and modal gradual
typing.  Our papers can be found via
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://research.cs.queensu.ca/home/jana/by-date.html__;!!IBzWLUs!G_mAnSdrRygMdBps1cjeg-9UcwCRpQKMeCPI6feaI3FkheBC0ujyNUTXnMKw1AxxVZY5cqm558fpDQ$ .

Kingston is a small city on Lake Ontario, about halfway between Toronto
and Montreal.  In less pandemic-stricken times, it was a popular tourist
destination.

All applications are welcome, including applications from members of
historically excluded groups.

The official application process is described at

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cs.queensu.ca/apply/graduate.php__;!!IBzWLUs!G_mAnSdrRygMdBps1cjeg-9UcwCRpQKMeCPI6feaI3FkheBC0ujyNUTXnMKw1AxxVZY5cqnxfZ_aRw$

Our graduate programs have some peculiarities, perhaps especially for
those accustomed to US graduate programs:

   - MSc and PhD students are admitted direct-to-supervisor.  In effect,
you need to convince a faculty member (me) to provide funding.

   - Our PhD program requires you to have a master's degree.  If you
don't have a master's degree, you can apply to the research-based MSc
program.

   - The website mentions an "Honours Bachelor degree".  This is a local
term for a 4-year bachelor's degree.  It does not mean you need to have
taken special "honors" versions of classes, etc.

   - It is easier to fund students who are Canadian citizens or
permanent residents.  However, it is not impossible to fund non-Canadians.

Feel free to contact me at jana at cs.queensu.ca, even if you think you
will miss our published deadline of 15 January 2022.

-Jana

--
Jana Dunfield (she/her)
Assistant Professor, School of Computing