[TYPES/announce] LAFI 2023 - Final Call for Extended Abstracts (deadline Oct. 27) - POPL 2023 workshop on Languages for Inference

Christine Tasson christine.tasson at lip6.fr
Mon Oct 17 04:37:27 EDT 2022

                    Call for Extended Abstracts

                             LAFI 2023
            POPL 2023 workshop on Languages for Inference

                           January 15, 2023
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://popl23.sigplan.org/home/lafi-2023__;!!IBzWLUs!S5D0Jx1VLUXnVJ4CFCvt2g-tmyYT5f67T8C7s1cUAKE9pf_j33e7p6bANkHIDRjoPXfZlQrRWTOObXrAOkizCwq1uYN4I3FZeKNBPheoB-0$

              Submission deadline on October 27, 2022 -- EXTENDED!

** Invited Speaker

Hongseok Yang, professor at the School of Computing, KAIST, Korea

** Submission Summary

Deadline: October 27, 2022 (AoE) -- EXTENDED
Link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lafi23.hotcrp.com/__;!!IBzWLUs!S5D0Jx1VLUXnVJ4CFCvt2g-tmyYT5f67T8C7s1cUAKE9pf_j33e7p6bANkHIDRjoPXfZlQrRWTOObXrAOkizCwq1uYN4I3FZeKNBp349rVE$
Format: extended abstract (2 pages + references)

** Call for Extended Abstracts

Inference concerns re-calibrating program parameters based on observed
data, and has gained wide traction in machine learning and data science.
Inference can be driven by probabilistic analysis and simulation, and
through
back-propagation and differentiation. Languages for inference offer
built-in
support for expressing probabilistic models and inference methods as
programs,
to ease reasoning, use, and reuse. The recent rise of practical
implementations
as well as research activity in inference-based programming has renewed the
need for semantics to help us share insights and innovations.

This workshop aims to bring programming-language and machine-learning
researchers together to advance all aspects of languages for inference.

Topics include but are not limited to:
- design of programming languages for inference and/or differentiable
programming;
- inference algorithms for probabilistic programming languages,
including ones that incorporate automatic differentiation;
- automatic differentiation algorithms for differentiable programming
languages;
- probabilistic generative modeling and inference;
- variational and differential modeling and inference;
- semantics (axiomatic, operational, denotational, games, etc) and types
for inference and/or differentiable programming;
- efficient and correct implementation;
- and last but not least, applications of inference and/or
differentiable programming.

We expect this workshop to be informal, and our goal is to foster
collaboration and establish common ground. Thus, the proceedings will
not be a formal or archival publication, and we expect to spend only a
portion of the workshop day on traditional research talks. Nevertheless,
as a concrete basis for fruitful discussions, we call for extended
abstracts
describing specific and ideally ongoing work on probabilistic and
differential
programming languages, semantics, and systems.

** Submission guidelines

- Submission deadline on October 27, 2022 (AoE) -- EXTENDED
- Submission link: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lafi23.hotcrp.com/__;!!IBzWLUs!S5D0Jx1VLUXnVJ4CFCvt2g-tmyYT5f67T8C7s1cUAKE9pf_j33e7p6bANkHIDRjoPXfZlQrRWTOObXrAOkizCwq1uYN4I3FZeKNBp349rVE$
Anonymous extended abstracts are up to 2 pages in PDF format, excluding