[TYPES/announce] Assistant/Associate professor role at Radboud University

Wouter Swierstra w.s.swierstra at uu.nl
Wed Jun 7 04:07:32 EDT 2023

# Assistant or Associate Professor of Software Technology

Do you want to work in our programming languages and compiler group,
to help create next generation programming languages? Then apply to
be an Assistant or Associate Professor of Software Technology. The
Software Science department is looking for a new colleague with a
keen interest in system software at the software/hardware interface,
and a desire to transfer academic results to industry/society.

The SWS department seeks to strengthen and expand its research and is
therefore looking for a new colleague with a keen interest in system
software at the software/hardware interface and a desire to produce
academic results that are beneficial to industry/society. Depending on
your qualifications, you will either be appointed at tenure-track
assistant professor level or at associate professor level. You will be
expected to develop your own research line in the context of the
group's future activities.

You will be expected to supervise a number of PhD candidates and to
teach Bachelor's and Master's courses in Computer Science, such as New
Devices Lab and Compiler Construction. You will also actively
contribute to the supervision of Bachelor's and Master's projects and
be involved in organisational tasks within the institute. All teaching
is done in English.

## Profile

* You should hold a PhD and be an enthusiastic scientist with a broad
   knowledge of software technology, as evidenced by publications and
   research grants.

* Your expertise in software technology should strengthen the group's
   research, with a focus on system software and the drive to produce
   academic results that are beneficial to industry/society. Example
   areas include programming languages, compiler technology, code
   generation, system performance, system architecture, software
   analysis tools, testing, correctness, software hardware codesign,
   systems of systems, cyber-physical systems, IoT, networks,
   HPC/Exascale computing, and low carbon computing. There is a clear
   potential for collaboration with the current group.

* You are an enthusiastic teacher with didactic skills and teaching
   experience, and you enjoy interacting with students.

* You are able to help the department by contributing to
   organisational and managerial activities related to the research and
   education programme of our department.

* You are a team player who is eager to collaborate with other
   scientists and to build bridges between different disciplines within
   and outside SWS/iCIS, nationally and internationally, and within and
   outside of academia.

* You have a strong interest in, and preferably also experience with,
   collaborating with stakeholders from industry and society. You also
   have excellent communication skills towards colleagues, students and
   non-experts.

* You are able to set up your own research line and successfully apply
   for external funding.

## We are

The position is available in the Software Science (SWS) group of the
Institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at Radboud
University. The mission of the SWS group is to do world-leading
research on the use of models for design and analysis of software. The
group is well known for work on high productivity software, functional
programming, code generation for High-Performance Computing, array
computing, model-based software engineering, model learning,
model-based testing, model checking, combining formal verification and
machine learning, proof assistants, and mathematical foundations. We
find it important (and inspiring!) to cover the full spectrum from
theory to applications in a single research group. Through
collaboration with stakeholders from industry and society, we obtain a
better understanding of when and how software science can help solve
real-world problems. We have joint projects with, for instance, Canon
Production Printing, ASML, Alfa Laval, Philips Healthcare, Google,
Intel, Defensieacademie (NLDA), and our spin-off TOP Software
Technology.

Radboud University's iCIS is an internationally recognised institute,
consistently ranked among the top Computer Science departments in the
Netherlands. iCIS comprises an enthusiastic and devoted team of
excellent scholars that closely collaborate in a flat organisational
structure. The Institute focuses its research on three themes: data
science, digital security and software science. Each of these themes
spans the full breadth from basic fundamental research to
application-oriented research. Our long-term drive is to contribute to
both science and society. iCIS staff members are also responsible for
the Computer Science Bachelor's and Master's programmes, the
Information Science Master's programme, and for about 30% of the
Bachelor's and Master's programmes in Artificial Intelligence at
Radboud University. In spite of the fast-growing student numbers,
these programmes are structurally evaluated as one of the best. For
example, the Computer Science programme was rated best in its field in
Keuzegids 2021. iCIS employees have a high level of freedom to
determine the way they structure the work they carry out at Radboud
University. The Institute has made a strong effort in the past few
years to increase the diversity of its staff. Presently, more than
half of our scientific staff has an international background.

## Radboud University

We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why?
Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading
research and education make an indispensable contribution to a
healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what
unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud
University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and
lifelong learning. You have a part to play!

We offer an employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE:

* Depending on your scientific track record and experience you will be
   appointed as an Assistant Professor or Associate Professor,
   potentially with career track criteria for future promotion.
* For an Assistant Professor the gross monthly salary amounts to a
   minimum of €3,974 and a maximum of €6,181 based on a 38-hour working
   week, depending on previous education and number of years of
   relevant work experience (salary scale 11 or 12).
* For an Associate Professor the gross monthly salary amounts to a
   minimum of €5,506 and a maximum of €7,362 based on a 38-hour working
   week, depending on previous education and number of years of
   relevant work experience (salary scale 13 or 14).
* You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
* You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months. Upon a
   positive performance evaluation at the end of this period, the
   contract may be converted into a permanent one.
* You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care
   Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you
   with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for
   the local labour market, provide customized support in their search
   for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
* Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time
   employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave
   instead of the legally allotted 20.

## Additional employment conditions

Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected
in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment
conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life
balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and
working from home. You are also able to compose part of your
employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra
leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports
subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are
given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and
realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and
development schemes.

You can apply using the link below:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ru.nl/en/working-at/job-opportunities/assistant-or-associate-professor-of-software-technology__;!!IBzWLUs!T4TW3SyIuWL765PONU-2OYhSqpbk1oDfcIfnEyffUOfErhURvmOFFSfvambvXYzkYJWMMePNNMZ2jROEpA_E9WO0S1IdXoHFKNn45w$