[TYPES/announce] PLMW @ ICFP 2023: Call for Scholarship Applications

Stefan Muller smuller2 at iit.edu
Mon Jun 26 18:36:02 EDT 2023

Hi all!

Please forward to any interested students (undergraduate and graduate)!
The application is at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/otooDXHfTbDjFZEo8__;!!IBzWLUs!UrYqS1Q-OmYzacQHe7mCuQ8HNhBh1cOYWL15VzXIiZK8kvdfkd1ntHxQt86ZV4LTWDMymqZiYB-oq5xozT3BhjRcFd6eMdwP$ . Submissions
by July 14 will get full consideration for funding, but we'll continue
on a rolling basis after that as long as we have funding. More info is
below and on the website
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://icfp23.sigplan.org/track/plmw-icfp-2023__;!!IBzWLUs!UrYqS1Q-OmYzacQHe7mCuQ8HNhBh1cOYWL15VzXIiZK8kvdfkd1ntHxQt86ZV4LTWDMymqZiYB-oq5xozT3BhjRcFSLr7wiy$ >, and feel free to
contact us with questions!

Thanks in advance - Kristopher Micinski and Stefan Muller PLMW at ICFP 2023
Co-chairs P.S. If your students are interested but the timing of ICFP
doesn’t work out this year, PLMW @ SPLASH
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://2023.splashcon.org/track/splash-2023-PLMW__;!!IBzWLUs!UrYqS1Q-OmYzacQHe7mCuQ8HNhBh1cOYWL15VzXIiZK8kvdfkd1ntHxQt86ZV4LTWDMymqZiYB-oq5xozT3BhjRcFXWiQB9c$ > is just around the
corner with a slightly later deadline!

--------------------

ACM SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop, Seattle,
Washington, US

Monday, September 4, 2023

PLMW is a workshop co-located with ICFP 2023 (the International
Conference on Functional Programming) in Seattle, WA, from September 4-9.

The purpose of this mentoring workshop is to encourage graduate students
and senior undergraduate students to pursue careers in programming
language research. This workshop will bring together world leaders in
programming languages research and teaching from academia and industry
to help students imagine how they might contribute to our research
community. Topics will range from the abstract (e.g., what is PL
research and how does one become involved in it) to the concrete (e.g.,
how to navigate an academic conference, how to pick a research area) as
well as technical talks on cutting-edge topics.

We especially encourage women and underrepresented minority students,
and people with disabilities to attend PLMW.

This workshop is part of the activities surrounding ICFP, and takes
place the day before the main conference. One goal of the workshop is to
make the ICFP conference more accessible to newcomers. We hope that
participants will stay through the entire conference.

Note that ICFP and PLMW are planned to be largely in-person events.
While we recognize that travel to conferences is not easy for everyone,
we do hope you will be able to join us in person to get the most out of
the conference and its community-building aspects.

A number of sponsors have generously donated scholarship funds for
qualified students to attend PLMW. These scholarships can cover expenses
(airfare, hotel, and registration fees) for attendance at both the
workshop and the ICFP conference.

Students attending this year will get one year free student membership
of SIGPLAN, unless they prefer to opt out during their application.

The workshop registration is open to all. Students with alternative
sources of funding are welcome as well.

APPLICATION FOR PLMW TRAVEL FUNDING:

For full consideration for scholarship funding, please apply at the link
below by July 14, AoE. We will notify accepted attendees in a rolling
fashion until all funding is committed.

The application can be accessed at the following URL:

--
Stefan Muller
Gladwin Development Chair Assistant Professor