[TYPES/announce] Call for participation: Undone Computer Science, Nantes, 5-7 Feb 2024

Guillaume Munch-Maccagnoni Guillaume.Munch-Maccagnoni at inria.fr
Thu Jan 4 11:00:23 EST 2024

Dear TYPES list, the topic of the conference below is broad because it is
inter-disciplinary, but you might find its programme interesting and
relevant.
The PC has several members of our community in it.  —Guillaume

—

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION — please share this invitation with your
colleagues and networks (apologies for cross-posting)

1st conference on *Undone Science in Computer Science* — A conference
to reflect on epistemological and ethical dimensions of computer science

   * Nantes, France, *February 5-7 2024*. (Given a high number of
     quality submissions, the conference has been extended to a 3-day
     event.)
   * Programme and accepted talks:
     <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://undonecs.sciencesconf.org/page/program_page__;!!IBzWLUs!UhCLRE4f-HubKO84bKmUyXsKoiDNXJp1XgIX-XxKklPgGCsCBldkBY12Yy5JCs27n_IGx71LUsWndY62NdeKhxgNNrmnyXCHQZtjMCY8dHY$ >.
   * Some limited funding is available to facilitate the attendance of
     young researchers.

INVITED SPEAKERS

   * Ben Green (U. Michigan), “Algorithmic Realism: Data Science Practices
     to Promote Social Justice”
   * Ksenia Ermoshina (Center for Internet and Society, CNRS), TBA

REGISTRATION & ATTENDING

   * Please register before January 22nd for in-person attendance at
     <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://undonecs.sciencesconf.org/registration__;!!IBzWLUs!UhCLRE4f-HubKO84bKmUyXsKoiDNXJp1XgIX-XxKklPgGCsCBldkBY12Yy5JCs27n_IGx71LUsWndY62NdeKhxgNNrmnyXCHQZtjkgFdb-k$ >.
   * There is a small registration fee, with several options to waive
     the fee for researchers who might need it. Please find more
     information on the registration page.
   * Please note the limited number of spots and register early. The
     payment of the fee can be done later.
   * The talks will also be streamed online during the conference. No
     registration is needed for online attendance.
   * We have received some limited funding to help young researchers
     who would like to attend the conference but lack the funds to do
     so. Please contact the organisers as soon as possible and before
     January 15th if you are in this situation.
   * The venue has good accessibility and we strive to make our
     conference accessible; more information is provided on the
     website. Feel free to inquire with the organisers if needed.

Our website <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://undonecs.sciencesconf.org/__;!!IBzWLUs!UhCLRE4f-HubKO84bKmUyXsKoiDNXJp1XgIX-XxKklPgGCsCBldkBY12Yy5JCs27n_IGx71LUsWndY62NdeKhxgNNrmnyXCHQZtjHBJnJGA$ > has all the
information.

PRESENTATION

We are pleased to invite computer scientists from across the field, as
well as also philosophers of science, social scientists, etc., who
work on computing-related topics, to attend the *Undone Computer
Science* conference, organised by researchers from Nantes Université,
Inria, and LORIA Université de Lorraine.

The goal of our conference is to provide an opportunity to pause and
reflect on the *epistemological and ethical aspects of computer science*.
We propose as a theme the concept of undone science [1]: the
intriguing yet vital notion that areas of research may remain
incomplete, overlooked, or unfunded despite being found worthy of
exploration by some—and the exploration into the causes of these
situations.

Any discussion of systematic lack of production or dissemination of
knowledge is welcome, whether in a specific area or in computer
science in general, whether past or present; whether due to
limitations of available methodologies, blind spots of dominant
paradigms, institutional and industrial biases, lack of social
representation, or other factors.

Undone science offers a broad and open-ended line of inquiry capable
of inspiring fascinating talks—yet sufficiently focused to bring
together, around a common topic, all kinds of researchers interested
in discussing the ethical and epistemological dimensions of our field.

We are looking forward to your participation.

PROGRAMME COMMITTEE

Ihsen Alouani (Queens University, Belfast)
Marc Anderson (Inria)
Enka Blanchard (CNRS & LAMIH)
Simon Castellan (Inria)
Pierre-Antoine Chardel (IMT Business School)
Christine Eisenbeis (Inria)
Chantal Enguehard, Chair (Univ. Nantes)
Laurence Favier (Univ. Lille)
Jean-Daniel Fekete (Inria)
Karën Fort (Sorbonne Université & LORIA)
Alessio Guglielmi (University of Bath)
Guillaume Munch-Maccagnoni, Chair (Inria)
Alberto Naibo (Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne)
Norberto Patrignani (Politecnico Di Torino)
Maël Pégny (Consultant, SAMA PARTNERS)
Tomas Petricek (Charles University, Prague)
Sophie Quinton (Inria)
Catherine Tessier (ONERA)

ORGANISATION COMMITTEE

Guillaume Munch-Maccagnoni, Chantal Enguehard, Maël Pégny, Marc Anderson

Contact us at <undonecs at sciencesconf.org>.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

[1] Frickel, S., Gibbon, S., Howard, J., Kempner, J., Ottinger, G., &
     Hess, D. J. (2010). Undone Science: Charting Social Movement and
     Civil Society Challenges to Research Agenda Setting. Science,
     Technology, & Human Values, 35(4), 444–473.
     https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1177/0162243909345836__;!!IBzWLUs!UhCLRE4f-HubKO84bKmUyXsKoiDNXJp1XgIX-XxKklPgGCsCBldkBY12Yy5JCs27n_IGx71LUsWndY62NdeKhxgNNrmnyXCHQZtj4EQ0tXk$