[TYPES/announce] Open postdoc positions (4 years) in "Formal Engineering Support for Field-Programmable Gate Arrays", combining FPGAs with formal methods

Rüdiger Ehlers ruediger.ehlers at tu-clausthal.de
Tue Jan 16 13:31:56 EST 2024

Dear all,

my research group at Clausthal University of Technology in Germany currently has
*two open postdoc positions* to be filled, with funding for *four years* each.
This is long enough for writing a German "Habilitation" thesis while holding the
position.

The open positions are in the scope of the "Formal Engineering support for
Field-Programmable Gate Arrays" endeavor (funded by the Volkswagen Foundation), in
which we will bring the concept of reactive synthesis into the world of FPGAs.

While the theory of reactive synthesis has matured in the last decades, industrial
use of automatically synthesized implementations is still quite rare. The endeavor
through which the postdoc positions are funded has the potential to change this.
Its aim is to adapt synthesis game constructions, strategy extraction processes,
and the computational engines employed in the game solving process so that they
are best suited for synthesizing implementations for field-programmable gate
arrays (FPGAs). These are, in a way, reconfigurable digital circuits and have an
excellent energy-efficiency in a good range of applications. Manual development of
their implementations is more difficult than programming software, which is why
they are only used in few applications despite FPGA-based data center solutions
being available nowadays.  A particular aim is that the synthesized
implementations should be able to use big blocks of FPGA-based implementations for
multiple purposes by time-sharing, which is often avoided in manual
implementations due to the complexity of doing so. Employing reactive synthesis
for coordinating the computation processes in FPGA-based implementations thus has
the potential to make the performance of synthesized implementations even better
than most manual implementations, which would make the approach interesting for
industry as well.

Further information about my research group is available at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.isse.tu-clausthal.de/en/research/research-groups-1/acps-automating-cps-design__;!!IBzWLUs!WtkWcOhqH78vJ71cUrsoi4_I39l0uVbpVS-abGqSM9jCIykw4v9661Vy4mJKa8EbfM_Dgs7wD5cQfF0K0PGnx5sUNyOuRUl1nKaaGtc12WIZsRZO$
and a longer description of the endeavor in particular can be found at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.isse.tu-clausthal.de/en/research/research-groups-1/acps-automating-cps-design/formal-engineering-support-for-field-programmable-gate-arrays__;!!IBzWLUs!WtkWcOhqH78vJ71cUrsoi4_I39l0uVbpVS-abGqSM9jCIykw4v9661Vy4mJKa8EbfM_Dgs7wD5cQfF0K0PGnx5sUNyOuRUl1nKaaGtc12XyzXdWP$

An official job advertisement can be found at:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tu-clausthal.de/universitaet/karriere-ausbildung/stellenangebote/wissenschaftlicher-dienst/research-assistant-m/f/d-1__;!!IBzWLUs!WtkWcOhqH78vJ71cUrsoi4_I39l0uVbpVS-abGqSM9jCIykw4v9661Vy4mJKa8EbfM_Dgs7wD5cQfF0K0PGnx5sUNyOuRUl1nKaaGtc12XRj5UnV$

The application deadline is the 4th of February. Slightly late applications are
likely to also be considered. Starting date is the 1st of April or a bit later. If
you want to apply, please send your application to: info at isse.tu-clausthal.de. If
you have any questions, please send an e-mail to ruediger.ehlers at tu-clausthal.de -
I will be happy to answer.