[TYPES/announce] Two PhD positions at Nanyang Technological University

Dr Conrad Watt (Asst Prof) conrad.watt at ntu.edu.sg
Fri Jan 19 09:25:37 EST 2024

We have two open fully-funded PhD positions at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, for the August 2024 intake. Please find details below. With apologies, the university's deadline for initial registration of interest is 31 January.

Conrad Watt, Assistant Professor
I have an open fully-funded PhD position for PL research, broadly construed, related to the WebAssembly programming language and virtual machine. A successful applicant will have the opportunity to work closely with WebAssembly's industrial standards body and inform the future direction of the language.

Possible topics include mechanisation - building on our existing WasmCert-Isabelle and WasmCert-Coq models of WebAssembly, object-oriented type theory - analysing the language's recent Garbage-Collected Types extension, and concurrency semantics - reasoning about proposed extensions to WebAssembly's concurrent memory model. More practical topics such as performance analysis would also be welcomed.

Bio: Before joining NTU I was a Research Fellow at Peterhouse, University of Cambridge. I currently co-chair the WebAssembly Community Group, the language's main industrial standards body.

To learn more: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://conrad-watt.github.io/__;!!IBzWLUs!QcJuMJ6NEpD42pA-c8An-e2X3cY0MA60BECuHOs0lD2BauBNAWwSEwX0lAGOoQBC25d7xWQYMoBY_uKT8P6qcQj58UW3POmvaRGxtv8$
Please contact me by email (conrad.watt at ntu.edu.sg) if you are interested.

Dmitrii Ustiugov, Assistant Professor
I have an open fully-funded PhD position for a highly motivated student who is interested in exploring programming model and operating system co-design for cloud and serverless computing and/or systems support for ML (e.g., LLM inference serving).

My work spans the domains of computer systems and architecture with a focus on designing fast, scalable, and resource-efficient cloud systems, innovating across the hardware and software stack. Also, I am leading the vHive open-source ecosystem for serverless experimentation and innovation across the deep distributed HW/SW stack used in 30+ academic and 8+ industry organisations.

Bio: I received a PhD degree in Computer Science from the University of Edinburgh, UK and was co-supervised at EPFL, Switzerland. Before joining NTU, I was a Postdoctoral Researcher at ETH Zurich.

To learn more: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ustiugov.github.io/__;!!IBzWLUs!QcJuMJ6NEpD42pA-c8An-e2X3cY0MA60BECuHOs0lD2BauBNAWwSEwX0lAGOoQBC25d7xWQYMoBY_uKT8P6qcQj58UW3POmvwzDFyx0$
Please contact me by email (dmitrii.ustiugov at ntu.edu.sg) if you are interested.

Best wishes
Conrad Watt and Dmitrii Ustiugov

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it, notify us and do not copy, use, or disclose its contents.
Towards a sustainable earth: Print only when necessary. Thank you.