Linear Logic and Noncommutativity in the Calculus of Structures

Lutz Strassburger Lutz.Strassburger at loria.fr
Thu Dec 18 18:02:52 EST 2003

Hello,

I would like to announce my PhD-thesis (defended on 24 July 2003) which might
be interesting for people in the types and proof theory lists. Feedback is
very welcome. The pdf-file is available from
http://www.loria.fr/~strassbu/
as well as from
http://alessio.guglielmi.name/res/cos/index.html

Best wishes for Christmas and the new year,
Lutz

Title:
Linear Logic and Noncommutativity in the Calculus of Structures

Abstract:
In this thesis I study several deductive systems for linear logic,
its fragments, and some noncommutative extensions.  All systems will
be designed within the calculus of structures, which is a proof
theoretical formalism for specifying logical systems, in the tradition
of Hilbert's formalism, natural deduction, and the sequent calculus.
Systems in the calculus of structures are based on two simple
principles: deep inference and top-down symmetry.  Together they have
remarkable consequences for the properties of the logical systems. For
example, for linear logic it is possible to design a deductive system,
in which all rules are local.  In particular, the contraction rule is
reduced to an atomic version, and there is no global promotion rule.
I will also show an extension of multiplicative exponential linear
logic by a noncommutative, self-dual connective which is not
representable in the sequent calculus.  All systems enjoy the cut
elimination property.  Moreover, this can be proved independently
from the sequent calculus via techniques that are based on the new
top-down symmetry.  Furthermore, for all systems, I will present
several decomposition theorems which constitute a new type of normal
form for derivations.