[TYPES] FORTE'04 Call For Papers

fernando fernando at sip.ucm.es
Mon Jan 26 19:47:55 EST 2004

   =  We apologize for multiple copies of this call for papers  =

|                   C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S                    |
|            24th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference on            |
|       Formal Techniques for Networked and Distributed Systems      |
|                         F O R T E  2 0 0 4                         |
|                September 27-30, 2004, Madrid, Spain                |
|                Submission of papers:  March 15, 2004               |
|                Author notification:   May 20, 2004                 |
|                Camera-ready copy:     June 15, 2004                |
| http://antares.sip.ucm.es/~forte2004           fernando at sip.ucm.es |

Dear Colleagues,

we kindly invite you to submit papers, tutorials and tool descriptions
to FORTE'04. The IFIP TC6 WG 6.1 Joint International Conference on
Formal Techniques for Networked and Distributed Systems (FORTE) is
focused on formal methods for communication protocols. FORTE is the
new name of the joint FORTE/PSTV meeting, which has combined FORTE and
PSTV into a single joint meeting since 1997.

This year three workshops will be colocated with FORTE'04. These
workshops will take place the 1st and 2nd of October in Toledo, a nice
historical city located 100 kilometres to the south of Madrid. Free
transportation from Madrid will be provided by the organization.

Scope and Objectives
--------------------

Forte denotes a series of international working conferences on formal
description techniques (FDTs) applied to computer networks and
distributed systems. The conference series started in 1981 under the
name PSTV. In 1988 a second series under the name FORTE was set up.
Both series were united to FORTE / PSTV in 1996. Three years ago the
conference changed the name to its current form. FORTE provides a
forum for researchers and users to review, discuss, and learn about
new approaches, concepts, and experiences in the field of formal
description techniques and their application.

The 24rd FORTE conference will be held in Madrid. It is organized by
the Departamento de Sistemas Informticos y Programacin at the
Universidad Complutense de Madrid. FORTE 2004 is especially dedicated
to the application of formal description techniques to practice,
especially in the Internet domain. The conference will consist of
tutorial sessions on the first day, followed by presentations of
reviewed and invited papers, tool demonstrations, and panel and
working sessions.

Topics of Interest
------------------

FORTE'04 will provide a forum for researchers and users to review,
discuss, and learn about new approaches, concepts and experiences in
the application of formal methods such as finite state machines,
process algebras, Petri nets and logics and formal description
techniques including SDL, UML, LOTOS, MSC, ASN.I, and others. Topics
of interest include, but are not restricted to:

    * Use of formal methods: FDT based design of communication
protocols and distributed systems especially for Internet
applications, Formal verification, Performance modeling and
analysis, Automatically derived implementations, Test of distributed
systems and communication protocols including interoperability tests,
performance tests, robustness tests, and test generation procedures,
Tool support.
    * Theoretical aspects of formal methods:New approaches and
theories, Extensions of FDTs, Semantic foundations, Real-time and
probability aspects.
    * Practical experience with formal methods:Reports and case
studies of the deployment of formal methods and FDTs to the
development and validation of distributed systems and communication
protocols, in particular in Internet and communication domains.

We strongly encourage the submission of papers with practical
applications especially in the areas of multimedia applications,
wireless and mobile communication protocols, client/server applications,
secure systems/environments, e-business and mobile commerce, and other
Internet applications.

Submission policy and publication
---------------------------------

Several types of contributions are solicited:

    * Full papers - research or practice results ( up to 16 pages )
    * Tutorial proposals
    * Work in progress papers ( up to 5 pages )
    * Tool demonstration proposals

Only original papers, i.e. not submitted nor published elsewhere, should
be submitted. Papers should be submitted electronically in PDF format
using the web page that will be available nearer the deadline.

All accepted full papers will be published in Lecture Notes in Computer
Science series of Springer. Work in progress papers will be published in
a separate volume at the conference. To facilitate the production of the
final proceedings we strongly recommend submissions to follow the LNCS
style.

Best Paper Award
----------------

There will be a best paper award (500 euros) offered by IFIP TC6 for the
author(s) of the best paper selected during the reviewing process.

Steering Committee
------------------

    * G. v. Bochmann, University of Ottawa, Canada
    * E. Brinksma, University of Twente, The Netherlands
    * S. Budkowski, INT Evry, France
    * G. Leduc, University of Liege, Belgium
    * E. Najm, ENST, France
    * K. Turner, University of Stirling, United Kingdom

Program Committee
-----------------

    * G.v. Bochmann, Univ. of Ottawa, Canada
    * T. Bolognesi, IEI Pisa, Italy
    * M. Bravetti, University of Bologna, Italy
    * A. Cavalli, INT Evry, France
    * J.P. Courtiart, LAAS Toulouse, France
    * D. de Frutos-Escrig, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
(co-chair)
    * R. Dssouli, Concordia University Montreal, Canada
    * R. Gotzhein, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany
    * H. Hermanns, Saarland University, Germany
    * T. Higashino, Osaka University, Japan
    * D. Hogrefe, University of Gttingen, Germany
    * G. J. Holzmann, Bell Labs, USA
    * C. Jard, IRISA, France
    * M. Kim, ICU Taejon, Korea
    * H. Koenig, Brandenburg University of Technology, Germany
    * M. Koutny, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
    * G. Leduc, Univ. of Liege, Belgium
    * D. Lee, Bell Labs, China
    * E. Najm, ENST, France
    * M. Nunez, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain (co-chair)
    * D. A. Peled, University of Warwick, United Kingdom
    * A. Petrenko, CRIM Montreal, Canada
    * K. Suzuki, Advanced Communication Coop., Japan
    * K. Turner, Univ. of Stirling, United Kingdom
    * H. Ural, University of Ottawa, Canada
    * U. Uyar, City University of New York, USA
    * V. Valero, Universidad Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
    * F. Wang, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
    * J. Wu, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
    * N. Yevtushenko, Tomsk State University, Russia

Colocated Workshops
-------------------

Three workshops will be colocated with FORTE 2004. These workshops
will not take place in Madrid, but in Toledo, a nice historical city
located 100 kilometres to the south of Madrid. Free transportation
from Madrid will be provided by the organization.

    * ITM2004
      1st International Workshop on Integration of Testing Methodologies
      http://antares.sip.ucm.es/~forte2004/itm2004/
    * EPEW2004
      1st European Performance Engineering Workshop
      http://www.info-ab.uclm.es/epew2004/
    * TheFormEMC
      1st International Workshop on Theory Building and Formal Methods
      in Electronic/Mobile Commerce
      http://wi2.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/mobile/TheFormEMC2004.php