[TYPES] sum-of-product types

Paul B Levy P.B.Levy at cs.bham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 17:48:16 EDT 2004

Dear all,

I am interested in sum-of-product types, more precisely countable sum
of finite product, as these are the general types to which we can apply
pattern-matching.

I have been using the following terminology:

"pattern-range" is a countable family of finite sequences of types

"hyper-arity" is a countable family of natural numbers

Thus each sum-of-product type has a particular pattern-range, and each
sum-of-product connective has a particular hyper-arity.

Is there any other terminology in use for these things?  I'm not bothered
if "finite" replaces "countable" here.

Paul