[TYPES] System F and implicit instantiation

Thorsten Altenkirch txa at cs.nott.ac.uk
Mon Aug 9 15:55:38 EDT 2004

Jeremy Graham Siek wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Type checking for System F with church-style terms is easy. How difficult
>does type checking become if instantiation is made implicit?

It is undecidable, because you can reduce 2nd order unification to it.
Frank Pfenning
showed this quite a while ago (actually 92), long before Joe Wells
showed that the Curry System
is undecidable. In my opinion is the Pfenning result more relevant for
showing that
type inference for System F is undecidable.

See
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fp/papers/CMU-CS-92-105.pdf

Cheers,
Thorsten