[TYPES] Query: Types for post-development analysis?

Michael Anthony Smith m.a.smith at eris.qinetiq.com
Wed Mar 8 05:47:15 EST 2006

I have been a (silent) member of the types list for several years, as I
am interested in monitoring (and hopefully using) developments in type
theory. I certainly make use of (reasonably) strongly types
specification and programming languages in my work, which is regularly
involving the analysis of third party designs/code. Within this context
it is often hard to use developments in the type-theory, as they appear
(at least to me) to be aimed at designing solid development languages
and frameworks.

I know that type systems are used to design languages (and frameworks)
that have a given collection of desirable properties, whether this be
the traditional "shape" correctness or for some other concern such as
guaranteeing various concurrency or security properties. I also am aware
of the link between type theories and abstract interpretation. What I
was wondering if anyone here knows of the application of type theories
to the post-development analysis context?

Thanks,

Anthony.