[TYPES] Systematically testing type systems

Klaus Ostermann ostermann at informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Jul 4 06:13:35 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I hope this is not a stupid question, but I wonder whether it is feasible to
test the soundness of a type checker by enumerating all programs in the
language, reducing each program one step (assuming we have a small-step
interpreter and a language where the full execution state is in the program
itself) and checking whether subject reduction holds. If the enumeration of all
programs would be smart enough (i.e., produce only syntactically correct
programs; no two programs in the enumeration are alpha-equivalent) I could
imagine that it would be feasible to test a type checker for all programs less
than X bytes in size, where X is a reasonable number (e.g., 1KB) - at least for
minimalistic languages as they are common in type research.

Has this ever been tried, or is it obvious that it would not work in practice?

Klaus Ostermann