[TYPES] semantics of `quote'

Uday Reddy U.S.Reddy at cs.bham.ac.uk
Sat Jul 15 02:50:05 EDT 2006

Dear Thomas,

The standard approach to dealing with quotation is to think of the
language as operating at two levels: one inside the quotation brackets
and one outside.  An "unquote" operation can take you from the upper
level (quotation level) to the lower level (denotation level).  This
idea can also be generalised to multiple levels.

A search on Google Scholar for "two-level languages" or "multi-stage
languages" will take you to the work of Fleming Nielson, Eugenio Moggi
and others.

Cheers,
Uday