[TYPES] Completeness of powersimulation

Malcolm Tyrrell Malcolm.Tyrrell at computing.dcu.ie
Tue Jul 17 10:25:55 EDT 2007

Hi there.

I'm not sure that this is the appropriate forum for my question, so I
apologise if it seems off-topic. If you can think of a more suitable
forum, please tell me.

Powersimulation is a sound technique for establishing data refinement in
theories of predicate transformers.

There is a completeness result for powersimulation (originally in [1]
and reworked in [2]), but it is subject to a few awkward conditions. In
particular, abstract data types may not use unbounded nondeterminacy.

Can anyone tell me if it is known whether the conditions are necessary?
If not, can anyone provide an example of the incompleteness of
powersimulation?

The language of [2] (p223) gives the impression that the conditions are
necessary. However, this is not clearly stated.