[TYPES] polymorphic isomorphisms

Thorsten Altenkirch txa at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Thu Jan 24 09:24:40 EST 2008

Hi Paul,

we know that parametricity implies that

mu X.B(X) ~ Pi X.(B(X) -> X) -> X

where X is positive in B. Your question (2) seems to boil down to

A(Pi X.(B(X) -> X) -> X) ~ Pi X.(B(X) -> X) -> A(X)

which I think is also implied by parametricity (but I haven't checked
it).

As far as standard models are concerned: as far as I know it isn't so
easy to construct a
parametric model, this was done by Bainbridge et al and is called the
"Parametric PER
model". The standard PER models are in general not parametric, i.e.
there is a counterexample
by Ivar Rummelhof where he constructs a particular PCA so that the type
polynat = Pi X.X -> (X->X) -> X contains non-standard numerals. I'd
think that in
this model also your isomorphisms should fail.

Cheers,
Thorsten