[TYPES] Equational correspondence and equational embedding

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Apr 15 10:06:57 EDT 2008

Phil, Amr responded with the bare facts. Here is my path of
discovery, with two additional lit ptrs:

John Gately was an MS student at IU working in Indiana. I suggested
to him that he work out a cbv theory of combinators in the spirit of
Gordon Plotkin's CBN/CBV paper in TCS(1974). I also suggested that he
read Barendregt (chapter 7, with an overview in chapter 2) because it
summarizes the equational correspondence I was after. John dropped
out from IU but rejoined me at Rice and published a paper on his CBV
CL ~ lambda_v correspondence paper at some workshop (mathematical
foundations of programming languages?).

Around the same time, I started Eric Crank on a correspondence
between cps(\lambda_v) and lambda with the hope that a reduction rule
Bruce Duba and I had played with since 1985: (\x.E[x]) M  = E[M] for
x not in fv(E) [beta_Omega]. While Eric preferred to switch to
equational characterizations of imperative parameter passing, Amr
came along and solved this puzzle.

As Amr said, we tried to stay as close as possible to the source
(Curry) with our write-up for LFP 1992.

-- Matthias