[TYPES] analogy between Felleisen's syntactic theories of state and Hindley-Milner constraints

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Apr 23 20:58:09 EDT 2008

On Apr 23, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Francois Pottier wrote:

> I don't know who is the earliest inventor of this idea.

Bob and I agreed to have co-discovered the concept in the week
between Christmas and New Year 1987. (It was buried in my
dissertation but it wasn't good enough.) I am also confident that Ian
Mason and Carolyn Talcott had figured out a similar idea by 1988, if
not earlier. -- I don't know when Milner did his scope stuff. --
Matthias