[TYPES] Fwd: Revenue-neutral Adjustment for Functional Programming

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jun 10 09:34:43 EDT 2008

This message is slightly off-topic, and apologies for that. I
believe, however, that it is in the spirit of this list.

The ACM Curriculum board has re-opened the 2001 design for review.
Although ACM is a US-based organization, the curriculum is not only
influential at the middle tier of US colleges and universities, it is
also taken seriously by many evolving and developing educational
institutions overseas. As you may recall, I alerted the readers of
this list in the late 90s that the curriculum has relegated the study
of PL and type systems to a peripheral status. We may now have an
opening to make a small change.

The ACM Curriculum board has agreed to consider a proposal on
including FP as an equal to OOP (10 "hours" each) in the standard
curriculum. See forwarded message below. This was the most concrete
outcome of the PLC workshop at Harvard two weeks ago. (Stuart Reges,
Shriram Krishnamurthi, and I drafted the proposal; Larry Snyder
volunteered to submit it once the workshop expressed its unanimous
support. The three of us came to the conclusion that only an
inclusion of FP in the general curriculum will prepare students for
properly designed though possibly optional PL courses, including a
thorough study of type systems.)

Please consider contributing comments to the web site. A simple "Yes,
I think this is a great idea" will be helpful. A short explanation is
even better.

Thanks -- Matthias