[TYPES] HOAS versus meta reasoning

Andrei Popescu uuomul at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 18:50:57 EST 2008

Dear Andrew and Karl,

I thank you very much for your comments and references.

To answer Karl's question, I used the word "taming" because, as far as I see, the interaction between meta-reasoning (by which I understand reasoning about the object system) and HOAS is a wild issue.  Going back one level and (case-)analyzing the meta-logic inference itself in a meta-meta logic seems like an elegant, but extreme measure to take  -- for one thing, it breaks the ties with more conventional frameworks for developing mathematics, such as the ones of Coq, Isabelle/HOL or PVS, where a working mathematician feels immediately comfortable (thanks to the standard foundations), and where many libraries of theories are available. Staying in a conventional framework, on the other hand, requires compromises on the hassle-free (i.e., typing-context-free, substitution-free, bound-variables-free etc.) aspect of the representation.  I was not looking for taming any aspect in particular,
but for getting a picture of the recent progress within the above approaches and maybe others in between.

Regards,
 Andrei Popescu