[TYPES] HOAS versus meta reasoning

Karl Crary crary at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 18 11:01:41 EST 2008

Well, let me just say that rather than try to peer into the mind of the
authors of LF, I would prefer to let the mathematics stand for itself.
I'm not aware that the theory of adequacy developed in LF was somehow
deficient.

It's been known from the start that the power of LF stemmed from its
apparent weakness.  In the years since LF was invented, there has been a
lot of effort to carry out the LF methodology (now often called
higher-order abstract syntax, or higher-order representations) in a
stronger settting, in order to use higher-order representations and
simultaneously do something else.  That's what I thought we were talking
about.

    -- Karl Crary