[TYPES] mechanized metatheory of standard ml alpha release

Robert Harper rwh at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Aug 15 13:01:01 EDT 2009

Motivated by the current interest in many aspects of mechanized
metatheory for programming languages, we are releasing an "alpha"
version of our mechanization of the metatheory of standard ml, which
is available from our respective publications pages.  The tarball that
you will find there contains the formalization and verification of
Standard ML by elaboration into an internal language, as described in
our POPL paper with Daniel Lee.  It should be understood that this is
an alpha release that certainly needs polishing for presentation and
clarity, and may be revised before we go to a full publication.
Additionally, it is also possible that it may contain errors, not that
compromise safety, but that may depart from the intended semantics.
We are currently validating the mechanization to rule out such
mistakes.  We do, however, deliberately exclude some obsolete or
deprecated features of Standard ML (notably equality types).

Thanks for your interest!
Karl Crary
Bob Harper