[TYPES] teaching discrete math and logic to undergraduates

Jean Gallier jean at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 21 17:36:18 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

For now three years, I have been teaching a Discrete Math course
for undergraduates. I believe that it is important to expose these kids
to logic, and since they should not be too brainwashed yet, I  try
to present a proof system in natural deduction format in order
to show them the difficulties with the "proof by contradiction
principle"
and make them aware of some of the non-constructive aspects
of classical logic. I

  wrote some notes that I may want to convert into a book.
There is also some good stuff on combinatorics and graphs.
I have most solutions to my problems written up and more problems
should be added.
I'd be happy if you have any comments or suggestions.
You'll find the manuscript there:

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~jean/gbooks/discmath.html

Best,
-- Jean Gallier