[TYPES] teaching discrete math and logic to undergraduates

Derek Dreyer dreyer at mpi-sws.org
Sat Aug 22 16:58:36 EDT 2009

Yes, of course.  My point was simply that, for certain classes of
propositions A, "A or not A" is constructively true (e.g. if A is "x =
some particular algebraically constructed value").  Thus, having a
step in one's proof that says "we know that either A or not A" does
not imply that one's proof is classical.

This is obvious to people here, but I'm not sure it's obvious to many
students, especially when they see proofs written out informally.  (I
certainly remember being confused about it a long time ago and having
to just figure it out for myself.)

It's very common, for example, in metatheory appearing in PL papers to
see things like "either e is a term of the form e1(e2) or it is
not...Case 1: suppose it is...Case 2: suppose it isn't..."  Writing
that in one's proof does not mean that one has relied on excluded
middle, it just means that in the informal proof one has skipped the
step where one constructively proved the either/or using a case
distinction on the structure of terms.  However, to the student, such
an informal constructive proof may appear indistinguishable from the
non-constructive proof of the irrational example.  I think it's worth
at least pointing this out to students, by way of noting that most of
the intuitive reasoning they do is in fact intuitionistic.

Derek