[TYPES] non-constuctive proofs

Stephane Lengrand lengrand at lix.polytechnique.fr
Mon Aug 24 14:48:23 EDT 2009

Incidentally, this is the very reason why keyboards are imperfectly
tuned, i.e. well-tempered.

If you want a scale that is closed under composition and that contains
the fifth, you end up looking at the group (of musical intervals)
generated by the ratio 3, identifying all notes that only differ by
octaves (i.e. whose frequency ratio is a power of 2).
Since 3^n is never a power of 2, you never get back to a note you
already have, and the group is infinite, which is a pain for a
keyboard-instrument.
(However, with n=12, you get pretty close to a power of 2, and you can
spread the error uniformly over the 12 elements of the group, i.e. the
12 well-tempered intervals.)

Stephane