[TYPES] Two-tier reviewing process

Michael Hicks mwh at cs.umd.edu
Sat Jan 23 16:10:40 EST 2010

A quick follow-up on Andrew's post.

I attended the discussion at POPL on Wednesday (the 20th), and it
seemed to focus on how/whether to accept more papers.  I observe that
the original proposal posted to this list (which was soundly rejected
by straw poll at the meeting) was aimed at improving the review
process, to be more fair and effective.  Simon's amended proposal for
accepting more papers starts by saying we should have a "quality bar"
but does not suggest how to set this bar, and then assumes that
whatever the method, more papers would be/should be accepted.

I find the lack of discussion on the integrity/quality of the review
process a bit surprising, and unfortunate.  My sense was that the
agreement to relax current standards for paper acceptance is based
somewhat on a resignation that reviewing, whatever the process, is
destined to be flawed.  To the contrary, I think the review process
can be improved, and is worth improving.  If we improve the process,
we will feel much more confident about the papers we accept, and I
suspect we will be more confident to accept more of them.

To this end, I think that a tiered process can really help.  To add a
bit more information about it (Andrew's full description in included
below):

At the POPL discussion, one goal that was raised was to improve the
number of "expert" reviews per paper. People are dissatisfied when
their paper is rejected by self-proclaimed non-experts.  I believe
that Jens pointed out that this year's POPL had 77% papers with one
"X" review.  I asked Andrew what the related metric was for the
Oakland tiered review process, and he said:

 > A little hard to compare. We had a 4-point confidence scale, where 3
 > was "confident" and 4 was "this is my area".
 >
 > All papers had at least one 3 or 4 reviewer. 88% had two or more 3
 > or 4 reviewers. A little over half the papers had a 4 reviewer.

I was happy with this year's POPL program so I agree we could probably
keep accepting more papers (that is, more than 39).  But I think it
would be great to improve the review process, too.

-Mike