[TYPES] Two-tier reviewing process

Vijay Saraswat vijay at saraswat.org
Fri Jan 29 20:24:19 EST 2010

Rajeev Alur wrote:

> One proposal to fix this is to enforce a rule such as:
> You can be a co-author on at most 2 submissions to  top-tier SIGPLAN
> sponsored conferences in a given calendar year.
> Such a rule would put some burden on authors to submit their best work
> to conferences,
> and reviewing would be less onerous and better.

Hi Rajeev --

The problem of too many poor papers circulating is definitely real. But
this seems like a particularly bad way to fix this -- people can be
involved in many different lines of work that come to fruition in the
same year, a professor is guiding many students, a person is
contributing code to many systems etc.

Here is an alternate suggestion picking up on your observation that
currently there is no cost of submission.

The only currency relevant is reputation.

What if each of the SIGPLAN conferences also published a tally of who
submitted how many paper(*). This would make public the knowledge that A
submitted X papers and got Y accepted this year. I think just the social
stigma associated with submitting 20 papers and getting 2 accepted would
keep people from submitting too many papers :-).

(*) The conference should not publish any other information about
rejected papers, e.g. title of submitted paper, who co-authored with who
etc.