[TYPES] how to typing for logic equality operator‏

Moez A. Abdel-Gawad moez at cs.rice.edu
Sat Nov 20 00:03:05 EST 2010

Incidentally, it seems there is a minor (but embarrassing?) typo in the
FJ paper (only in the TOPLAS version).

The flaw, in Theorem 2.4.3 (FJ Type Soundness), on p. 408, is in the
last part of the theorem stating that 'C <: D'.

I believe there must be a 'not' (/) over the '<:' symbol.  Otherwise
(ie, if the condition as stated is true), the (up-)cast subexpression
could simply evaluate/reduce to 'new C([e])', and would not be a failing
typecast (as explained close to the end of p.401).

The same error is repeated in Theorem 3.4.3 (FGJ Type Soundness), I
believe, for 'Phi |- N <: P', on p. 415.

Or am I missing something?

-Moez