[TYPES] Strong Normalization for Coq (CiC)

Eddy Westbrook emw4 at rice.edu
Tue Nov 8 18:20:39 EST 2011

Yes, this is a very fundamental question. This is discussed more in
the paper, but the basic answer is that I use a "dummy" interpretation
for proofs, which is essentially like the empty set; i.e., the
interpretations of proofs  do not "contain" any other terms (where
"contain" is in a set-theoretic sense). Thus, the interpretation of
Prop and its types can be built before any of the predicative types.

This may seem counter-intuitive at first, because proofs can contain
predicative objects. The reason it works, however, is that the only
way to get predicative objects out of a proof is via an impredicative
elimination, which must always, in the end, create another proof.
Thus, such functions always equal  \dummy -> dummy, which we in fact
eta-contract in the interpretation function to just dummy.

Hope this helps,
-Eddy