[TYPES] A question about unification terminology

Giuseppe Castagna gc at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Mar 28 09:13:52 EDT 2012

Dear Typers,

   the problem of finding a substitution σ such that tσ=sσ is called unification;

   the problem of finding a substitution σ such that tσ=s is called
semi-unification;

   but how is it called the problem of finding a substitution σ such that tσ≤sσ
where ≤ denotes a generic subtyping relation?

I found in the literature the generic name of "subtype constraint resolution"
(e.g., Pottier) but I was wondering whether there exists a more specific name.

Thanks in advance for your answers and pointers to related work.

Beppe