[TYPES] A question about unification terminology

François Fages Francois.Fages at inria.fr
Wed Mar 28 17:16:55 EDT 2012

Hi Beppe

"finding a substitution σ such that tσ≤sσ where ≤ denotes a generic
subtyping relation"
is indeed the problem of solving subtyping constraints over (type) terms,
just like unification is the problem of solving equality constraints
over terms.
To my opinion, there should not be specific names.

We studied this problem in a slightly more general setting than lattices in:
<http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/%7Eley/db/indices/a-tree/c/Coquery:Emmanuel.html>Emmanuel
Coquery, François Fages: Subtyping Constraints in Quasi-lattices.
FSTTCS 2003