[TYPES] Is naive freshness adequate to avoid capture?

Rene Vestergaard vester at jaist.ac.jp
Fri Apr 27 18:13:19 EDT 2012

All residual (non-renaming) beta-steps are enabled for fresh terms,
i.e., all beta-reductions of redexes that are not newly created with
respect to the fresh term we start from have enabled renaming-free
substitutions. This follows from (what Vincent van Oostrom once told me
is called) Hyland's Disjointness Property: within beta-residual theory,
two descendants of a given redex are disjoint, i.e., neither contains
the other.

Theorem 2.17 in my PhD thesis (The primitive proof of the
lambda-calculus) shows that any sequence of residual beta-steps from a
fresh term can be residually-completed. The setting of the result is the
marked lambda-calculus, with a marked and an unmarked application
constructor and only (renaming-free) beta-reduction for the former kind.
Residual completion is the (partial) function that attempts to contract
all marked redexes inside-out.

Hope this help with the slightly bigger picture,
Rene